Nordregio is a leading Nordic and European research centre for regional development and planning, established by the Nordic Council of Ministers. Nordregio is inviting applications for a Research Fellow within GIS.
The main tasks will be to work with GIS, geo-data, statistics and quantitative analysis. The following list of tasks illustrates activities the Research Fellow within GIS will execute:
• Process and harmonise geo-data and create geo-datasets.
• Creation of new cartographical materials (e.g. shapefile of administrative and functional units, thematic maps) using GIS and illustrator software.
• Collect data from Nordic and European statistical institutes (e.g. socio-economic indicators at municipal and regional levels) as well as from other geo-data sources.
• Support colleagues and project partners with statistics and maps.
• Present the maps and other findings, both internally and externally.
A Research Fellow is expected to hold a MSc in addition to at least three years of relevant work experience, or a PhD in a relevant field. Your professional background could be in GIS, statistics, geoinformatics, urban and regional planning. Additionally, experience in the fields GIS-programming and open-source solutions would be appreciated, as well as knowledge from current scientific developments in the international academic fields of GIS and geographical analyses.
We also expect you to:
• Have attention to detail, strong skills in visualisation and data processing and analysis.
• Have significant experience with ArcGIS, QGIS, Adobe Illustrator and advanced Excel skills.
• Have strong analytical skills, apply critical thinking and the ability to take a creative approach to complex problems.
• Be enterprising and possess good project management and communicative skills including the ability to network and work collaboratively both in a team and with a range of stakeholders and partner organizations.
• Be experienced in fund raising and project development.
• Be fluent in English. If the applicant does not speak a Scandinavian language, he/she must be willing to acquire a working knowledge of Swedish, Norwegian or Danish within a short period of time.
Nordregio (www.nordregio.org) is an international research centre for regional development and planning. We conduct solution-oriented and applied research, addressing current issues from both an academic perspective and from the viewpoint of policymakers and practitioners. Nordregio participates in European, Nordic and national research programs and carries out commissioned projects for different levels of government. Nordregio has a multidisciplinary, international staff and is situated in the attractive surroundings of Skeppsholmen in the heart of Stockholm. The institute was established in 1997 by the Nordic Council of Ministers and builds on 50 years of Nordic collaboration.
Working at Nordregio provides you with the opportunity to become part of a truly international research environment. It offers significant career development potential in terms of enhancing your international network of contacts in the policy and academic fields, as well as extensive experience in project management. You will also have rich opportunities to collaborate with regional and municipal stakeholders in the Nordic Region.
The position is full time. We offer competitive salaries and term contracts with a maximum length of four years. After further agreement the contract can be renewed for an additional four-year period. If you are employed by the State in a Nordic country, you are according to the “Avtale om rettstilling for samnordiske institusjoner og deres ansatte” entitled to leave of absence from your present position as long as your employment at Nordregio lasts.
How to apply
Please upload your application including a CV, a portfolio of maps you have produced (including a short description of the tasks you performed for each map) and references no later than 20 March, 2019 in the link below. We will be holding the first round of interviews between 25-29 March, 2019.
For further information, please contact:
Julien Grunfelder, Head of GIS department: firstname.lastname@example.org or +46 73 546 5893
Kjell Nilsson, Director: email@example.com or +46 72 300 8857